Contract Management Policy
Effective contract management is a key component in achieving project outcomes. The processes, structure and resources that will be applied to the contract management phase should be identified during the procurement planning stage.
Contract conditions should specify the reporting cycle and format, level of supplier personnel involvement, supplier/department systems integration requirements, etc.
1. Developing a Contract Management Plan for Higher Value and Complex Procurement
A contract management plan must address the following:
- monitoring compliance with contract conditions;
- identification of milestones and key deliverables/outcomes;
- roles and responsibilities of participants;
- effective financial management and monitoring;
- monitoring of risks; and
- project performance reporting requirements.
A Contract Management Plan must be included in the development of a SPP.
1. Appropriate Skills for Effective Contract Management
- The contract manager for a project should possess a sufficient level of competency based training and/or relevant contract management experience.
- Each department should consider the establishment of a contract management team to support the contract manager for higher value or complex projects. Consideration should be given to matching the skill mix of the contract management team with the requirements of the project. Consideration should also be given to including a member of the SPP planning team.
- Departments should establish a process for evaluation and recording of the outcome of major contracts in relation to stated project objectives.
Related VGPB Policy and DTF Guidelines
Category Management Guidelines (314 KB DOC)
Procurement Practitioners and Contract Managers need to be aware of the Public Record Office Victoria requirements for public documents as they apply to procurement and contract process. The Public Record Office Victoria is the advisory body on managing outsourced contracts. See: Advice 17: Records of Outsourced Activity
Related DTF Templates and Forms
Category Management Plan Template (155 KB DOC)
Category Management - Quarterly Review Template (93 KB DOC)
Category Management - Annual Review Template (104 KB DOC)
Category Management Quarterly Meeting Agenda and Record Proforma (119 KB DOC)
Category Management Periodic Meeting Agenda and Record Proforma (126 KB DOC)
Category Management Issue Register Template (28 KB XLS)
Links to relevant Policy websites
The Public Records Office Victoria is the advisory body on managing outsourced contracts. Additional information can be found at www.prov.vic.gov.au
Fair Payments for Small Business
Version Control Information
Text size: Print: